Mastercard, Handpoint to boost card acceptance for European SMEs
By Robin Amlot
Mastercard and Handpoint, an in-person payments platform provider, have signed a partnership agreement to promote greater acceptance of card payments by thousands of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Italy, Slovakia and the UK.
The partnership promotes the use of Handpoint’s secure payment platform that is both brandable and customisable for Merchant Service Providers (MSPs), helping small businesses to accept card payments for their businesses. The partnership offers a suite of tools that can be adapted based on businesses’ needs including:
- mPOS: Brandable, intuitive payment app which enables businesses to securely accept card and contactless payments through affordable and portable card readers, whilst easily managing key metrics from their transaction history
- smartPOS: All-in-one, smart payment terminal that is the epitome of excellent customer interaction and seamless checkout experience
- softPOS: The Handpoint platform is built to support the future evolution to a payment software solution without terminal hardware requirements.
In line with the surge in contactless payments – which now accounts for 75% of all Mastercard transactions in Europe – all payment devices within this partnership are contactless enabled.
Jason Lane, EVP Market Development, Europe at Mastercard said: “SMEs are both a vibrant and vital part of the European economy. Many of these small businesses who work only with cash have been disproportionately impacted in recent months by the health crisis. Be it contactless, online payments or mobile payments, at Mastercard we want to empower small businesses to accept more payment methods, to generate more sales and support their economic recovery.”
David Gudjonsson, CEO at Handpoint, said: “Handpoint is proud to partner with Mastercard and bring new, smart payment solutions to establishing merchants across Europe. Payments that offer choice, flexibility and business intelligence have never been more important, for merchants who are adapting to card payments with mPOS through to growing merchants who can benefit from smartPOS with unified payments across channels and integrated POS software.”
IBSi Daily News Analysis
May 31, 2023
UPI transactions will dominate retail digital payments in India by 2027, PWC study showsRead More
IBSi FinTech Journal
- Most trusted FinTech journal since 1991
- Digital monthly issue
- 60+ pages of research, analysis, interviews, opinions, and rankings
- Global coverage