Centrum and BharatPe set to build India’s first digital small finance bank
By Leandra Monteiro
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a Small Finance Bank (SFB) license to the consortium of Centrum Financial Services Limited (Centrum), the established and profitable small business lending arm of the Centrum Group and Resilient Innovations Private Limited (BharatPe). A new bank license has been issued after a gap of nearly 6 years.
The new SFB, has been incorporated as ‘Unity Small Finance Bank’. Unity as a name has tremendous significance on many counts for both Centrum and BharatPe. It is the first time ever that two partners are uniting equally to build a Bank. The proposed business model is one of collaboration and open architecture, uniting all its stakeholders to deliver a seamless digital experience. Centrum’s successful MSME and Micro Finance businesses shall be merged into Unity Small Finance Bank.
Commenting on the development, Jaspal Bindra, Executive Chairman, Centrum Group said, “We are delighted to receive the license and excited to partner with BharatPe to create this new age bank, with a strong team. We aspire to be India’s first Digital Bank.”
“I wish to thank RBI for entrusting the Unity of BharatPe and Centrum with the SFB License. We will work tirelessly and smartly to capture this opportunity and build India’s first truly Digital Bank ground up,” added Ashneer Grover, Co-Founder and Managing Director, BharatPe.
IBSi Prime News
January 21, 2022
The Weekly Wrap: all you need to know by Friday COB | Jan 21stRead More
- Daily insightful news analysis
- Weekly snapshots of industry deals, events & insights
- Sectoral deep dives on the hottest FinTech trends
- Exclusive interviews featuring c-level executives who are shaping the industry
- Profiles of the most influential established and emerging companies in the sector
- Weekly global FinTech use cases
- Chart of the Week curated by IBSi’s Research Team
IBSi FinTech Journal
- Most trusted FinTech journal since 1991
- Digital monthly issue
- 60+ pages of research, analysis, interviews, opinions, and rankings
- Global coverage